Held in Loa on 11/17/16. Those in attendance:
Dianna Suggested having a business spotlight Magazine
- Discussion of ways to get info out to all businesses
JoAnn noted that minutes have not been posted to our website
- Marcus said he would post minutes from now on.
Dianna asked about any conflict of interest re: her and the Farmer’s Market
- She asked if she should not on vote on items affecting the Farmer’s Market
- Tabled to discuss along with Conflict of Interest forms next month.
Discussion on Board Meetings
- Suggestion to hold meetings at a business each month
- Suggestion to go to Hanksville once a year (in Summer or Spring)
- Dianna asked to host a board meeting in the summer
- Suggestion that each Board member host at their location or be responsible for selecting
the location and be in-charge of contacting the business the meeting will be held at.
Discussion on when to meet
- It was noted that Thursdays seem to be a bad day
- Decided to have board meetings on 1st Tuesday of the month in the afternoon at 2:00pm
(except for July – it will be held the 2nd Tuesday of the Month)
- Discussion about partnering directors up to host or be in-charge of the meeting
Review of By-Laws
- In December we will review or read specific sections
- Request to have each board member to read their respective position listed in the by-laws
prior to next board meeting
Next meeting will be held on December 15th at 10am (no location set)
- We will set a new schedule for 2017 at the next meeting.
Discussion to have 2 events (business openhouse) in February or May to invite
- Several perspective businesses have come to General meetings but never join
- The special event will be a “special” luncheon
Discussion on General Meeting:
- We need to have applications at each of these meetings
- We need to have a roll to review at the following board meeting – to see which businesses
are consistently attending and to see who isn’t
Question was asked re: The Mill (need to know what there name is) – if they are a paid membership – No they are not.
- We need to make sure that business spotlights and general meeting locations are with paid
Question was asked re: Dianna’s email that is being used on mail chimp –
- Marcus said he would send a test to Dianna that night
Board members were listed out:
Francine – President
JoAnn – Vice President
Penni – Sec/Treasurer
Natasha – Past President
LeEllen – Director
Marcus – Bookkeeper/Web
Jessica – Director
Rick – Director
Dienna P – Director/Farmer’s Market Rep
Addie M – Director
Dina R – Director
Don G – Director
Marci M – Director
Discussion on how many directors we are allowed as per by-laws...
- As per Article VII of the By-laws (Board of Directors), “The Wayne County Business
Association shall be directed by a Board consisting of Elected Officers plus no fewer than
two (2) and no more than ten (10) at-large WCBA members. Elected officers serve as
Executive Board Members”
- We currently have nine non-elected directors.
Discussion on how to team directors together for next year:
- JoAnn / Marci (Jan/July)
- Don G / Francine / Rick (Feb/Aug)
- Dianna P / Natasha (Mar/Sept)
- Marcus / Dienna R (Apr/Oct)
- LeEllen / Jessica (May/Nov)…May in Hanksville
- Penni / Aidie (Jun/Dec)
- These teams will be in charge of hosting the meeting. The Board President will still conduct and
will be in charge of the agenda for the meeting.
Question was asked re: which email to use for Rick – We will follow-up next meeting.
Discussion re: ratifying president for the association, the VP, and the Sec. Treasurer in the
Discussion on the Scenic ByWay 12 Meeting.
- They meet the 3rd Tuesday of the month (every other month) at 1:00pm (change locations
along the corridor
- Discussion to list on each month’s agenda and invite board members to attend
- JoAnn will plan to attend unless another director volunteers
Discussion on Boulder-Half Marathon / Boulder 5K
- We will need a special use permit
- Marcus will follow-up with the county to see what level of insurance is required
- A committee is needed for preparation to begin.
- Date of the Half-Marathon was tentatively set for September 16th, 2017.
- Originally, the Association was looking at moving this back into August – but there is a
competing marathon going on during the end of August (Fishlake Marathon)
- Marcus to contact Adie to see about volunteers
- Discussion on having people that are vested in this endeavor.
Discussion on Special use permit for Farmers Market
- Need document from county that stipulates amounts
- The WCBA may want to list all events so that they are covered under one special use
permit from the county
- Dianna expressed concern over the Town of Torrey requesting that the Farmer’s Market be
required to pay a $600 event fee
- Dianna has asked to be on the town’s next agenda to discuss
- Dianna expressed that there is a conflict of interest by several members of the town board
that have participated in or have supported a competing farmers market
- Dianna felt like she was being bullied by the town - Currently the Farmers’s Market has brought in $509 in fees from vendors and has $1,232 in expenses (this does not include the amount for t-shirts)
- Dianna will visit w/ UDOT for permission to be on main street.
- Dianna to contact Health Department re: bathrooms
- Entrada may co-sponsor the Farmer’s Market
- Dianna asked that we link the Farmer’s Market facebook page to the WCBA
- Wayne County Site lists Farmer’s Market
It was requested to have the dual use special use permit ($25) for the Farmer’s Market and Half Marathon rather than pay for two.
- Discuss this issue next Board meeting
The conflict of interest statement was discussed.
- Bring to next board meeting and have all sign
Discussion on website
- Need to update homepage to be more user-friendly.
- No more scroll down to the bottom
- Add more drop down lists or links to click on rather than scrolling thru information to
find what is wanted
- Update the directory to be a list of Specific categories and then click into them for detail of
which businesses exist.
- Update the spotlight page to be similar to the directory – more of a list of business
spotlights than a scrollable list of information
Marcus will bring a sample of the member dues letter (that is sent out at the first of each year) to the next board meeting
Marcus will bring a draft of the 2017 budget to the December meeting and will meet with JoAnn to decide on budget items for 2017.
Discussion on Redrock ladies festival – it will be discontinued this year (to be discussed in December Meeting)
Discussion on what businesses want from the association
Marcus will send survey questions out to the board to see if there is anything else they would like listed – he will then send out the survey by Monday.
JoAnn will begin organizing the January General meeting
Discussion on having a Business Open House in February and then do another in May.
Marcus will post minutes of WCBA board and general meetings on the website.
Meeting was adjourned.